Note: If making broth from scratch, use a whole chicken to make the broth. Bring water to a boil, simmer for 30 minutes, and remove chicken. Let sit until cool enough to handle and shred meat from bones. Return bones to pot and continue making broth. Reserve 2 cups shredded chicken for soup; save remaining chicken for another use.
- 8 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, white and light green parts cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cups shredded chicken meat
- 8 oz. egg noodles
- Salt to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, warm 1/4 cup chicken broth. Add the celery, leeks, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, undisturbed, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the noodles until they are tender to the bite. Drain them and set them aside.
- Add the chicken to the soup and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked noodles and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Add salt to taste. Serve hot.
Makes 6 ample servings of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.