Note: Clean morels only just before using. The morels will absorb a bit of water in the cleaning process, making them more susceptible to mold or rotting if stored afterward.
To clean morels thoroughly:
- Put the morels in a paper bag or colander and shake vigorously.
- Lift the morels out of the bag or colander, leaving any loosened dirt or debris behind.
- Put the morels in a large bowl of cold water (or a clean sink full of cold water) and quickly swish the morels around in the water.
- Lift the morels out of the water (again, leaving behind any dirt or grit on the bottom of the bowl or sink) and put on a clean kitchen towel or layers of paper towels. Quickly pat the mushrooms dry.
- Prepare and cook the morels as you like.
Again, I cannot emphasize this enough and it bares repeating: do not clean the morels until you're ready to use them!