When the light and delicate flavor of morel mushrooms calls but the weather clings to a chilly gray, Morel Mushroom Risotto will get you out of the quandry of what to make. It makes a lovely side dish with chicken or pork or a light main course with a simple Tossed Green Salad or sauteed greens.
Learn more About Morels here.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 lb. morel mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. minced onion or green onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cup aborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, plus more for garnish if you like
- Mint for garnish (optional)
- Chives or green onion for garnish (optional)
- Trim any dried ends off the morels. Cut them in half lengthwise and rise clean with cool water (see more about How to Clean Morels here. Drain morels, cut them into lengthwise slices and set aside. (Meanwhile bring broth to a simmer and cut mint, if you want to use it, into chiffonade.)
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 1 minute. Add the morel mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring, until the morels release their liquid, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir to coat. Add the wine and stir until it is completely absorbed and evaporated.
- Add 1 cup of the hot broth and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is almost completely absorbed. Add the remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and letting liquid absorb between additions. Continue adding broth until the rice is tender, but still firm , about 25 minutes. You may not need the last 1/4 cup of broth.
- When the rice is cooked, add the cream, remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Add salt to taste, if you like.
- Divide the risotto between 4 wide, shallow bowls and garnish with mint and chives or green onion, if you like.
Makes 4 servings Morel Mushroom Risotto.