When you cook up Swiss chard leaves, make delicious use of the stems by roasting them! (If you have a bunch or two of chard and aren't sure how to proceed, check out How to Stem Swiss Chard.)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
- Stems from 1 to 2 bunches of chard
- About 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Rinse chard stems, pat dry, and trim off any brown bits.
- Use about half the oil to coat the bottom of a gratin dish or other baking dish that will hold the stems in more or less a single layer. Lay stems in the dish, drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle with salt. Cover dish with foil.
- Put in the oven and bake 10 minutes, remove the foil and bake until chard stems are tender and starting to brown, about 20 more minutes. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature with a spritz of lemon juice, if you like.