The key to Classic Creamy Potato Salad is to toss the potatoes with the vinegar while the potatoes are still warm and to serve the salad soon after making it instead of chilling it for any amount of time.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3 eggs
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 large celery stalk
- 1/2 cup bread-and-butter pickle slices
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Put eggs in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, cover, take off heat, and let sit 14 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare a large bowl of ice water. Transfer eggs to an ice-water bath. Let sit at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, until you are ready to use them.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into bite-size pieces. Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover them with cold water, and bring to a boil. Add 1 tbsp. salt, reduce heat to maintain a slow boil, and cook until the potatoes are tender to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain potatoes thoroughly, put them in a large bowl, and toss them with the vinegar. Let cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the onion, rinse with cold water, and pat dry. Set aside. Finely chop celery, pickles, and parsley. In a bowl, mix mayonnaise, onion, celery, pickles, parsley, mustard, pepper, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Gently toss cooled potatoes with dressing. Peel and chop the eggs and gently mix them into the salad. Serve immediately.