Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 lb. green beans, ends trimmed
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1 - 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. mirin (sweetened rice vinegar)
- 2 tsp. soy sauce or tamari
- Use your favorite method to Steam Green Beans. Once cooked to a crisp-tender texture or your preferred texture, immediately plunge the green beans in ice water and swish them around until they are completely cool. You can also rinse them under cold running water until they are completely cool. Dry the green beans thoroughly and put them in a shallow dish.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium high heat. Add the sesame seeds and cook, stirring or shaking frequently, until the seeds just start to turn golden (they will toast more after you remove them from the heat. Grind the toasted sesame seeds in a mortar and pestle or a clean coffee grinder.
- In the mortar and pestle or small bowl, add sugar, mirin, and soy sauce, stirring until the sugar is fully dissolved. Taste the mixture and add more sugar or soy sauce, of you like.
- Pour the dressing over the green beans and toss to coat. Serve immediately or let the beans sit about 30 minutes at room temperature before serving or up to overnight covered and chilled.
Makes 4 servings Green Beans With Sesame Dressing.