Note: This recipe makes a very lightly dressing cole slaw. For an even creamier version, simply double the amount of dressing.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. malt vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed (optional)
- 1 small head green cabbage
- 1 large carrot (optional)
- 1/4 head red cabbage (optional)
- 1/2 red onion (optional)
- In a very large bowl, combine cream, vinegar, salt, pepper, and celery seed, if you like.
- Cut the cabbage in half lengthwise, remove the core, and cut cabbage into very fine shreds (you can use a mandoline, if you have one, but a very sharp knife and a steady hand work just fine). Add cabbage to dressing.
- Peel and grate carrot, if using, and add to cabbage. Shred red cabbage and/or red onion, if using, and add to cabbage.
- Toss slaw, lifting from the bottom of the mixture to bring the dressing to the top. Keep tossing. It will take awhile to thoroughly combine the ingredients, you want the slaw thoroughly and completely coated with the small amount of dressing.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste, if you like. Toss again to combine.
- For a crunchy slaw, serve immediately; for a slightly softer slaw cover and chill for at least 1 hour and up to overnight. Toss again and serve.
Makes a lot of Classic Creamy Cole Slaw, enough for at least 8 if not 12 or 14 people.