Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 medium beets
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable or olive oil
- 1 head escarole
- 1 small clove garlic or shallor, minced (optional)
- 2 tsp. red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. ground mustard
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil or hazelnut oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Put the beets on a large piece of aluminum foil and drizzle them with some vegetable or olive oil. Cover them with foil, seal shut, and roast until tender, about 25 minutes (note that cooking time for beets varies tremendously, they may take up to an hour). Let the beets cool, slip off their skins, and cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Tear the escarole into bite-size pieces, wash and dry it.
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic or shallot, if using, vinegar, and mustard. Whisk in the oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the escarole with the dressing gently but thoroughly. Either toss the beets with the escarole, or divide the escarole between serving plates and top each one with a share of the beets.
Makes 4 to 6 servings Escarole & Roasted Beets Salad.