Farro - whole wheat kernels – is cooked and tossed with a light lemony dressing and plenty of spring vegetables – asparagus, peas, fava beans, and scallions – along with fresh herbs in this hearty and healthful spring salad.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup farro
- 1 lb. fava beans
- 1 lb. peas (in their pods)
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 4 scallions/green onions
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped dill, parsley, or other spring herbs
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add enough salt so the water taste salty. Add the farro, reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer, and cook until it's tender, about 20 minutes. Drain it, rinse it with cold water, and set it aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, shell the fava beans, shell the peas, and trim the asparagus and cut it into 1/2-inch lengths. Set the vegetables aside.
- Thinly slice the scallions, including the green part of the tops that look fresh. Set them aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooled farro to the dressing and toss the farro to coat thoroughly with the dressing. Add the vegetables and toss again to combine everything. Add the scallions and toss once again, lightly but thoroughly. Add the herbs and, yes, toss again.
- Serve the salad immediately at room temperature or cover and chill for up to overnight, being sure to bring it to room temperature before serving.