This salad is inspired by one I had at TWO (formerly Hawthorne Lane) in San Francisco. Shaved brussels sprouts, mint, marcona almonds, shredded parmesan cheese, and a spicy vinaigrette were a surprising and delightful combination. Serve on its own as a first course or alongside simple roasted meats or, even better, broiled fatty fish like mackerel.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup Marcona or other roasted almonds
- 1/3 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- Pull off a layer or two the darker green leaves on the brussels sprouts. Holding by the stem end, cut each sprout into crosswise slices as thinly as possible. Discard stem nub (that part you've been holding while you cut). Put "shaved" brussels sprouts in a large bowl.
- Gather mint leaves into a bundle and cut into ribbons. Add to brussels sprouts.
- Mince garlic clove and put in a small bowl with pepper flakes, vinegar, and salt. Let sit 5 minutes. Add olive oil and whisk to combine. Pour over salad and toss to coat brussels sprouts thoroughly. Add almonds and parmesan and toss to combine. Serve within half an hour.
Makes 4 servings Spicy Brussels Sprouts Salad With Almonds and Mint.