This red onion tomato salad is super simple, and even works as a dairy-free Caprese Salad if you find yourself in such a need. As with all simple recipes, ingredient quality is key. Look for fresh red onions that will still be a bit sweet and ultra-ripe, flavorful tomatoes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 6 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1/4 cup basil, cilantro, or mint leaves (or a mix)
- 4 Tbsp. good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Core and cut tomatoes into even slices. Set aside.
- Peel red onion, halve lengthwise, and cut into even slices. You can rinse the red onion slices in cool water and pat dry to soften the flavor a bit, if you like.
- Layer the tomato and onion slices on a serving platter or four individual salad plates.
- Chop basil, cilantro, or mint and sprinkle evenly over salad. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 Red Onion Tomato Salads.