Look for truly small baby turnips - about the size of golf balls - for this dish. I find a mandoline is handy for getting them sliced (or "shaved") as thinly as possible, but a sharp knife works fine too. This salad is crisp and refreshing - it works well alongside heavier, meatier dishes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 bunches small white turnips (8-10 turnips)
- 1 - 2 tsp. lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Trim stem end and any scraggly roots off the turnips. If they came with greens attached reserve those for another use. Scrub turnips clean.
- Slice turnips very thinly. Put sliced turnips in a medium bowl and toss with the lemon juice.
- Divide turnips evenly between 4 to 6 salad plates. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and top with a dusting of freshly ground black pepper.
Makes 4 to 6 servings Shaved Turnip Salad.