Note: A typo that led to the results cited in the bad review has been corrected!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 to 12 Masa Dumplings
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter, lard, or vegetable oil
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- For ultra-light dumplings, separate the eggs. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs yolks (or whole eggs if you don't feel like separating them) and the melted butter or oil. Stir in the masa. Sprinkle the mixture with the baking powder and stir it in to combine everything thoroughly. Add the buttermilk and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, use a large whisk to beat the egg whites until they're fluffy and hold soft peaks (see How to Whip Egg Whites here). Fold them into the dough.
- Scoop out the batter by tablespoonfuls and roll each portion quickly and lightly into a ball.
- Add the dumplings to steadily simmering soup or a pot of simmering salted water (for serving in stew or chili). Cover and cook without lifting the lid for 10 minutes.
- Serve soup or stew, with a dumpling or two in each bowl.