Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 lb. fresh morel mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped chives, chervil, or thyme (optional, as garnish)
- Trim the asparagus by snapping or peeling it and then cut the spears into 1-inch lengths. Set the prepped asparagus aside.
- Clean the morels by soaking briefly in a large bowl of cool water. Swish them around a bit and then lift the morels out of the water (leaving any grit to drop to the bottom of the bowl) and dry them thoroughly. (See How to Clean Morels for step-by-step instructions.) Small morels can be left whole, larger ones should be cut in half or quarters.
- In a large frying pan or sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the morels and cook, stirring, until they start to release their liquid, about 3 minutes. Add the asparagus, cover, and cook until the asparagus is bright green and tender to the bite, about 3 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated and the vegetables are just coated with the sauce resulting from their liquids mixing with the butter.
- Remove from the heat and season to taste with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Garnish with chives, chervil, or thyme to taste, if you like. Serve hot or warm.
Makes 4 servings Asparagus and Morels.