This extremely simple recipe yields super delicious results. Slowly cooking hearty leafed, crunchy cabbage with a bit of salty, savory bacon creates a slightly sweet, deeply flavored version of this humble vegetable. It's a fabulous side dish with a roast chicken or takes a more central role if served with a fried egg or two.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 head green cabbage or 1 1/2 heads Savoy or Napa cabbage
- 4 oz. bacon
- 1 Tbsp. butter or oil
- Halve the cabbage, cut out the core from both halves, roughly chop the cabbage, and set it aside.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces. Heat the butter or oil over medium heat in a large pot or braising dish. Add the bacon and cook it slowly until most of the fat is rendered and the edges of the bacon are starting to brown.
- Add the cabbage, stir everything to coat cabbage with the fat, partially cover the pot, and cook until the cabbage wilts, about 5 minutes.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage is tender, about another 5 minutes. Add salt to taste and serve. Freshly ground black pepper can be tasty, too.
Makes 8 servings.