Feel free to add a clove or two of thinly sliced garlic with the onions, or up to 1 teaspoon seeds (caraway, cumin, fenugreek, fennel) with the oil before adding the onions for extra flavor.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 head green or Savoy cabbage
- 2 medium onions
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil or butter
- Quarter the cabbage and cut out the core. Slice the cabbage as thinly as possible and set it aside. (You can use a food processor or kitchen mandoline, if you like.)
- Halve, peel, and slice onions as thinly as possible.
- Heat a large pot or deep saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil or butter. When hot, add the onions, sprinkle them with salt, and cook until the onions wilt, about 3 minutes. Add the cabbage, sprinkle with salt, stir to combine, reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, until the vegetables are extremely tender, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally and add a tablespoon or two of water to keep the vegetables from sticking, if necessary.
Makes 6 to 8 servings Cabbage & Onions.