Possible garnishes include freshly shredded Parmesan or other hard, grating cheese, a crumble of feta cheese, freshly chopped herbs, or a drizzle of flavored olive oil or nut oils.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil or butter
- 2 cups pearl couscous (a.k.a. Israeli couscous)
- 1 1/2 cups shelled green peas
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil or melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add the couscous and cook, stirring, until it starts turning brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the peas and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the broth is absorbed and the couscous is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot or warm, plain or garnished with cheese, herbs, or flavored oil.
Makes 6 servings Pearl Couscous & Peas.