Anchovies tend to have a fair amount of salt in them, so you may find there is no need to add salt to this dish. Taste before serving, however, and add salt if the acid from the tomatoes seems overly pronounced.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 bunch hearty cooking greens such as kale or collard greens
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jarred or canned anchovy fillets, minced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 canned or peeled fresh tomatoes (note: you want 2 tomatoes from a can of tomatoes, not 2 full cans of tomatoes!), chopped with their juices reserved
- Salt (optional)
- Trim and wash the greens. Set them aside.
- Heat a large frying pan or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, garlic, anchovies, and pepper flakes, if using. Cook, stirring, until fabulously fragrant with garlic, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato and juices and bring to a boil. Add the greens. Stir to combine, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are extremely tender and, just as importantly, the flavors meld, about 20 minutes. Add salt to taste, if you like.
Makes 4 servings Greens Braised With Anchovy & Tomato.