The prosciutto is completely optional – vegetarians or people without some extra prosciutto kicking around in the fridge should feel free to leave it out.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. olive oil or other cooking oil
- 3 green garlic stalks or garlic scapes, chopped
- 1/8 tsp. salt plus more to taste
- 2 slices prosciutto, sliced (optional)
- 1 bunch collard greens, kale, or Swiss chard thinly sliced or chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add oil. Swirl the oil to coat the bottom of the pan and add the green garlic and salt. Cook, stirring, until the green garlic is wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add prosciutto, if using, and cook, stirring, until it loses its bright pink tone, about 1 minute.
- Add greens, stir to combine, add 2 Tbsp. water. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook until greens are well wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir, cover, and cook until tender. Depending on the greens used (chard will take a shorter time than the others) and your taste, this will take anywhere from 3 to 8 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste, as you like.
Makes 4 servings Greens and Green Garlic.