Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 1 3- to 4-lb. sweet pumpkin (sugar pie or blue)
- 1/2 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 6 oz. fresh shiitakes
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut open the top of the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds as for a jack-o-lantern.
- Soak the dried porcini in 1/2 cup boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain and finely chop them.
- Cut the fresh shiitakes into bite-size pieces and place inside the pumpkin. Sprinkle with the chopped porcini. Pour the cream over the mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake until the squash is very tender and the liquid is bubbling, about an hour. Let sit about 15 minutes to cool and for the liquid to absorb into the pumpkin flesh. Scoop out and serve the stuffing and roasted squash hot or warm.
Makes 6 to 8 servings Mushroom Cream Squash.