The Indian-style spices make this dish perfect for a vegetarian meal with pair with rice and lentils or beans, but it's also great alongside grilled meats.
Note that this dish re-heats beautifully.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 lbs. okra
- 1 medium yellow or red onion
- 3 medium tomatoes (canned tomatoes work just fine in this recipe)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. chile powder (I like ancho chile powder for this dish, but it's very flexible)
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Trim off the stem ends from the okra and cut the pods into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices and set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion and set aside.
- Chop the tomatoes and mince the garlic and set them both aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or saute pan over high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onions start to brown.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds. Add chile powder, cumin seeds, turmeric, and cayenne, if using, and cook, stirring, another 30 seconds.
- Add okra stir to coat with onion-spice mixture. Add tomatoes, any juices they've released, salt, and 1/2 cup water. Stir combine and cover. Reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook until okra is tender and flavors are blended, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and add more salt to taste, if you like. Serve hot or warm.
Makes 4 to 6 servings Spicy Okra and Tomatoes.