When sweet corn and sweet peas are both in season, I make this pilaf where their twinned sweetness can really shine. Plus, the colors are so pretty!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. butter or oil
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn, kernels removed
- 1/2 cup shelled fresh garden peas
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the butter or oil over medium high heat in a medium saucepan. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until the rice grains are thoroughly coated and they look a bit opaque.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil, cover pan, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook – completely undisturbed, seriously, don't lift the lid! – for 15 minutes.
- Quickly remove the lid, add the corn kernels and the peas, and quickly cover again.
- Let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork while also combining the corn and peas, which will be sitting on the top, into the rice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.