While this dish is delicious with just a tablespoon of butter or oil, the flavors really jump if you're willing to up it a bit!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 to 4 Tbsp. butter or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head savoy cabbage or 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- Melt butter or heat oil in a large frying pan or medium pot over medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add ginger, turmeric, and pepper. Stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add cabbage, stir to combine, cover, reduce heat to medium low, and cook until starting to wilt, about 3 minutes. Stir, cover, and cook until completely wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. If necessary, cook with the cover off to reduce liquid before serving.
Makes 6 servings Spicy Potatoes, Cabbage and Carrots.