A bright lemon dressing turns broccoli into a crisp, easy salad. Since the broccoli is sliced into thin pieces, this salad works a lot like a slaw, and is perfect at picnics and bbqs as well as a weeknight family dinner.
Note that this salad, being made of broccoli, is especially hearty and able to stand up to being made a bit ahead of time or sitting out on a buffet table for awhile without ill effects.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Makes about 4 servings
- 1 lb. broccoli
- 1 recipe Lemon Garlic Dressing or Lemon Parsley Dressing
- 1/4 tsp. red chile flakes
- 1/2 preserved lemon (optional)
- Cut off the broccoli florets from their stems. Slice the florets, lengthwise, as thinly as you can. Some of the buds at the ends of the florets will fall off, that's okay - it all goes in the salad bowl!
- Peel the broccoli stems (see How to Peel Broccoli Stems if you don't know what I'm talking about!) and cut the peeled stems into short, thin sticks.
- Put about 3 Tbsp. of your chosen lemon dressing in a large salad bowl and add teh chile flakes. Add the sliced florets and peeled stems and toss to coat the broccoli thoroughly. Add another Tbsp. or 2 of dressing, if you like.
- If you're using the preserved lemon, rinse its flesh off in cool running water, pat it dry, and mince the peel. Add the peel to the salad or use it as a garnish.