Chile Cabbage Slaw uses thin slices of jalapeño chiles to add a bit of zip to crunchy cabbage salad.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 small head green or savoy cabbage
- 1 or 2 jalapeño chiles
- 4 green onions (scallions)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil or canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. good quality red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves (optional)
- Core cabbage, cut head in half and lay both halves cut-side down on a flat surface. Slice cabbage and thinly as possible. Set aside.
- Stem chile(s), halve, and slice as thinly as possible. Set aside.
- Trim green onions and slice as thinly as you can. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, lime juice, vinegar, salt, and cumin. Whisk to combine. Add cabbage, chiles, and green onions to the bowl and toss gently but thoroughly until all the cabbage is coated with dressing.
- Serve immediately to let sit up to several hours, covered and chilled. Toss in fresh cilantro leaves just before serving, if you like.