Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour (available at health food or Indian grocery stores)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil plus for for frying
- 1/2 cup club soda
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Cilantro Mint Chutney
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Cut cauliflower into 1-inch florets and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine chickpea flour, salt, baking soda, garam masala, cumin, cayenne, pepper, and turmeric.
- Separate the egg. Mix the yolk with the oil and set aside. Beat the egg white until it holds soft peaks.
- Stir egg yolk mixture into the flour. Add club soda and lemon juice and stir to create a smooth batter. Fold in beaten egg white.
- Add cauliflower florets and toss to coat florets with the batter. Lift florets out of the bowl and put them on a baking sheets, making sure the florets don't touch.
- Bake until starting to brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm with Cilantro Mint Chutney.
Makes 4 to 6 servings Baked Cauliflower Pakora.