Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. dry ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese – sharp cheddar, Parmesan, and/or Gruyere
- Coarse salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a medium saucepan, bring the butter and 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and quickly dump the flour into the butter-water mixture and stir quickly and thoroughly with a wooden spoon until a ball of dough forms and pulls away from the edges of the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add one egg at a time and stir to incorporate completely and thoroughly each egg into the dough before adding the next egg. Be warned: the dough will fall apart and look a mess as you add each egg, but have faith – if you keep stirring, the dough really will come together again.
- Add the mustards and pepper and stir to combine. Stir in the cheese.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or lightly grease them. Put teaspoonfuls of the dough about an inch apart on the baking sheets. Sprinkle them with coarse salt. Bake until the dough is puffed and golden, about 30 minutes. For drier puffs, cut a slit in them and return to the oven, with heat reduced to 350°F, for another 10 minutes. Serve puffs warm.
Makes about 3 dozen Cheese Puffs.