This tasty dip is perfect for crudites (raw vegetables) of all sorts - carrots, fennel, celery, radishes, cauliflower, broccoli.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds OR 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 small clove garlic (optional)
- 1 cup thick, strained, or Greek-style yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne, plus more to taste
- Heat a small frying pan over high heat. Once hot, add cumin seeds and cook, shaking pan or stirring, until toasted and fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer toasted seeds to a small bowl or plate and let cool slightly. (Also see How to Toast Cumin Seeds.)
- Meanwhile, mince or press garlic clove.
- Put yogurt, sour cream (if using), garlic, ground cumin (if using instead of seeds), 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. cayenne in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.
- Grind toasted cumin seeds in a clean coffee grinder, mortar and pestle, or by mashing with the bottom of a small, heavy pan or mallet. Stir 1/2 tsp. into dip. Taste and adjust all seasonings to taste.
- Cover and chill to blend flavors for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
Makes 1 cup Toasted Cumin Yogurt Dip.