Feel free to double this recipe, for more fritter fun.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound zucchini
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Grate the zucchini on a large-hole grater into a large bowl. Move the zucchini over to one side.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and beat it until there is no distinct yolk and white bits. Add the egg to the zucchini and stir them together.
- Sprinkle the zucchini-egg mixture with the flour and salt and stir to combine thoroughly. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat a generous layer of oil (about 1/4 inch deep) in a large frying pan or pot over medium-high heat to 350°F to 375°F. A bit of batter dropped into the pan should sizzle immediately; if it doesn't, give the oil a bit more time to heat up.
- Put generous spoonfuls of batter into the pan and flatten a bit with the back of the spoon. You should be able to fit about four fritters in a 10-inch frying pan at a time. Cook until the fritters are browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Flip the fritters over and cook until they are brown on both sides, about 4 more minutes. Go more on whether the fritters are browned and cooked through than the time, since the exact temperature of the oil will vary the cooking time.
- Transfer the fritters to a paper towel-lined plate to drain; repeat with remaining batter. Serve fritters immediately. To keep them warm, pop them in a 200°F oven, if necessary.
Makes about 8 Zucchini Fritters.