Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 8 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, white and light green parts thinly sliced (clean leek thoroughly to avoid making a gritty soup!)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cups shredded chicken meat
- In a medium pot bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and 1/2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil again. Cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook undisturbed for 15 minutes. Without removing cover, take off heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove cover, fluff rice with a fork, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot over medium-high heat, warm 1/4 cup chicken broth. Add celery, leeks, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, undisturbed, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken to soup and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add cooked rice and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Add salt to taste. Serve hot.
Makes 6 ample servings of Chicken Soup With Rice.