Tip: If you use Homemade Chicken Broth, pull the chicken out of the simmering broth after it's cooked through, remove the meat to use in this soup, and return the bones to continue flavoring the broth.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 8 cups chicken broth, divided
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, white and light green parts thinly sliced (clean the leek thoroughly to avoid making a gritty soup!)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cups shredded chicken meat
- In a medium pot bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add the rice and 1/2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil again. Cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook undisturbed for 15 minutes. Without removing the cover, take the pot off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. Remove the cover, fluff the rice with a fork, and set the rice aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot over medium-high heat, warm 1/4 cup of the chicken broth. Add the celery, leeks, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining broth and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, undisturbed, until the vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken to soup and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked rice and cook until it's heated through, about 1 minute. Add salt to taste. Serve hot.
Makes 6 ample servings of Chicken Soup With Rice.