Serve with bread, warm corn tortillas, or tortilla chips.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 20 fresh, mild large green chiles (Hatch chiles are perfect here)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt plus more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 to 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (Homemade Chicken Broth is a great addition to this soup)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Roast and peel chiles using either the stove-top method or the broiler method. After peeling, put chiles in a large bowl to collect any juices.
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat,melt the butter. Add onions and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring, until onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, another minute or so until the mixture is very fragrant.
- Add chiles and broth (3 cups for a thicker soup, 4 cups for a thinner soup) to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook until vegetables are extremely soft and flavors have blended, about 15 minutes.
- Whirl mixture in a blender or food processor until super smooth. Whirl at least 2 minutes (this may seem like a long time) to achieve a velvety texture.
- Return mixture to pot and stir in cream. Gently heat until mixture is heated through. Add more salt to taste, if you like.
Makes 4 servings Cream of Green Chile Soup.