Cold soups are perfect to beat the summer heat. This combination of yogurt and cucumber (kicked up with a bit of garlic and dill or mint) cools on several levels. It's tasty before a grilled meal or on its own with some bread and a tossed salad.
Find more Cooling Cold Soups to take the edge off summer's heat.
- 3 English or Mediterranean cucumbers
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp. minced dill or mint, plus more for garnish if you like
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Peel, seed, and coarsely chop cucumber. Whirl cucumbers, garlic, and yogurt in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in chicken stock, dill or mint, and pepper. Add salt to taste. Cover and chill until ready to serve (note: if you've used garlic be sure to serve the soup within a few hours so the garlic doesn't turn bitter). Serve, chilled, garnished with more dill or mint, if you like.