Start with this basic butternut squash soup recipe and then use any of the variations and garnishes below - or add your own flair - to create your own version of the perfect Butternut Squash Soup.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 large butternut squash (about 4 1/2 pounds) or 4 pounds peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 2 medium onions
- 3 cloves garlic (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt plus more to taste
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Halve, seed, peel, and cube the butternut squash. Set aside.
- Halve, peel, and chop the onion. Mince the garlic, if you like.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the butter or oil and the chopped onion. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the squash and the broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until the squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer small batches to a blender. Hold a kitchen towel over the top (to prevent burns) and whirl until completely and utterly smooth, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.
- Return the soup to the pot and add more salt to taste.
Makes 4 to 6 servings Perfect Butternut Squash Soup.
Garnishes & Variations
Classic garnishes for Butternut Squash Soup include a dollop of sour cream, plain yogurt, or creme fraiche. A sprinkle of minced cilantro or thyme is also tasty.
- Creamy Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup heavy cream after blending and gently heat until warmed through.
- Spicy Add 1 chopped jalapeno chile and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne with the garlic. Stir in up to 1/4 cup brown sugar at the end. If you like, cream is also a nice addition to this version.
- Roasted Roasting concentrates the flavor of the vegetables. You can use this method with any of the other flavor combinations you like. Put halved and seeded squash cut-side-down in a large pan. Arrange halved, peeled onions and garlic around squash. Pour in 1 cup broth and roast in a 375°F oven until very tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly. Scoop out the squash flesh from the peel and put it in a blender, along with the onions and garlic and remaining broth.
- Gingery Add 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger and 1 teaspoon ground ginger along with the garlic. Make it even gingery-er by melting 4 tablespoons butter in a small frying pan. Cook until it turns light brown and add 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger. Swirl the ginger butter on top of each serving.
- Warm Spices Add a combination of 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves, cardamon, nutmeg, ground ginger, cinnamon, and/or black pepper along with the garlic.
- Many Squash! Switch out up to 2 pounds of the butternut squash with sugar pumpkin or acorn squash.
- Protein Packed! Whirl up to 8 ounces of soft or silken tofu into the soup. Be sure to whirl it in a blender or food processor for a full minute or so to fully incorporate the tofu.