Like all soups, this one is especially delicious when made with Homemade Chicken Broth.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil or butter
- 2 small onions or leeks, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes (2 medium or one large), peeled and chopped
- 1/2 lb. carrots (3 to 4 medium), peeled and chopped
- 6 cups homemade chicken or vegetable broth OR 4 cups commercial broth and 2 cups water
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup cream, half-and-half, or sour cream (optional)
- In a large pot over medium high heat melt the butter or heat oil. Add the onions or leeks, garlic, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, and broth (or broth and water). Bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until all vegetables are very soft.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Taste and add salt to taste. Stir in the cream, if using.
Makes 4 to 6 servings Sweet Potato Carrot Soup.