Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 bunch of turnips with greens, or 3 or 4 turnips and 1 bunch of turnip greens
- 2 small onions or leeks
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices bacon or 2 ounces pancetta, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 to 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth (Homemade Chicken Broth is particularly delicious), depending on how "soupy" you like your soup
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Remove the greens from the turnips, if necessary. Wash and rinse the greens, cut them into thin strips, and set them aside.
- Peel the turnips, chop them into small chunks, and set aside.
- Peel and finely chop onions or clean and finely chop leeks. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the garlic and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium high heat. Add the bacon or pancetta, if you're using it, and cook until it starts to render its fat. Add the onions or leeks, sprinkle with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped turnips and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer and cook until turnips are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the turnip greens and cook until the greens are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Taste the soup and add salt or other seasonings to taste. Serve the soup hot, garnished with black pepper, if you like.
Makes 4 to 6 servings Turnip Soup With Greens.