Raw asparagus and butter lettuce are tossed with a lemony vinaigrette and topped with mozzarella and pistachios in this very green, springy salad. The thinly sliced asparagus has a clean, fresh flavor that will be most delightful to those who've only had this spring vegetable cooked.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 8 oz. asparagus
- 1 head butter lettuce (or red butter lettuce, as pictured)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 6 oz. perlini mozzarella balls
- Chervil (optional)
- Trim the asparagus. Either snap off the ends or peel the spears. Cut the trimmed spears on the diagonal into thin slices and set them aside.
- Break off and discard the tough exterior lettuce leaves. Tear the remaining leaves into bite-size pieces, wash, and dry. Set them aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and mustard. Add the asparagus and toss to coat. Add the lettuce and gently toss to coat thoroughly.
- Distribute the salad evenly among 6 plates. Sprinkle each serving with pistachios, perlini, and fresh chervil leaves, if you like. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings Asparagus Butter Lettuce Salad.