Note that red, striped, chiogga, or golden beets can all be used.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 quart vegetable or canola oil
- 3 medium beets
- Coarse sea salt or fleur de sel (optional)
- In a large, wide pot heat the oil to 375°F (oil should be about 1 inch deep).
- Meanwhile, peel the beets and slice them as thinly and evenly as possible. A kitchen mandoline is useful, but not necessary. A sharp knife and steady hand will do the trick just fine.
- Place a cooling rack over a baking sheet near the stove (to drain beets after cooking).
- Slip about a third of the beet slices into the oil, being careful not to crowd the pot. They should sizzle briskly when first put in the oil (if they don't, they oil isn't hot enough--remove the beets and bring the oil up to 375°F), the sizzling will slow down as they cook. Fry until the sizzling slows and beets are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon or tongs remove the beets and drain them on the cooling rack. The chips will crisp up as they cool. Repeat with the remaining beet slices.
- Sprinkle the chips with salt, if you like. Serve at room temperature.