Grated roasted beets tossed in a garlicky yogurt dressing create a shocking pink color and out-of-this-world flavor. Use this dish as a dip with toasted pita or crackers, or serve as a side salad with Mediterranean dishes. Seriously, don't let the color put you off, this simple salad is amazingly sweet and garlicky at the same time.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 medium beets
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups Greek-style, sheep-milk, or other thick yogurt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
- Dill (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Trim beets and place on a large piece of aluminum foil. Toss with oil, cover with foil and seal into a packet. Put packet on a baking sheet and cook until beets are tender when pierced with a fork, about 30 minutes (larger or older beets will take significantly longer, up to 1 hour). Let the beets sit until cool enough to handle but still warm, about 20 minutes. (See How to Roast Beets for more details.)
- Meanwhile, mince the garlic. In a medium bowl, mush the garlic with the salt. Stir in the lemon juice. Add the yogurt and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Peel the beets (the skins should slip off easily) and shred them on the large wholes of a grater (or in a food processor with a grating disc attached). Stir the grated beets into the yogurt mixture. Season with the pepper and additional salt, if you like. Add the chopped dill, if you're using it, and/or serve topped with dill sprigs. Serve at room temperature.
Store, covered and chilled, up to 1 day.
Makes 2 1/2 cups Beet & Yogurt Salad.