Sweet, earthy spring beets become a refreshing chilled soup in this easy, flexible recipe. Serve it pureed smooth or leave it with pieces of grated beets floating in the sweet, red broth.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 6 cups fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 medium beets, peeled and shredded on a large-hole grater
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Yogurt, sour cream, or crème fraîche (optional)
- Dill or chervil (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook onion and salt with 1/4 cup broth until onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add remaining chicken broth and beets and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until beets are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Optional: For a creamy soup, whirl soup in a blender or food processor or with a hand-held/immersion blender until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot or chilled and garnish with yogurt, sour cream, creme fraiche and/or herbs, if you like.
Makes 6 servings Chilled Beet Soup.