Note: If you've never trimmed or cleaned baby artichokes before, check out this step-by-step photo guide for easy-to-follow directions.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice or white wine or distilled vinegar
- 2 lbs. baby artichokes
- Olive oil
- Coarse grain or kosher salt
- Prepare a large bowl of cold water and add lemon juice or vinegar. Trim stem ends and remove the outer leaves from the artichokes (see how here), leaving just the tender pale yellow-green leaves. Cut off the tips of the leaves and remove any dark green or fibrous parts along the bottom of each artichoke. Thickly slice the artichokes and drop them in the acidulated water.
- Set up a drying rack over a baking sheet near the stove. Drain the artichokes and pat them dry. In a large heavy pot heat 1/2 inch of olive oil. Add an artichoke slice, it should sizzle immediately (if it doesn't, let the oil heat up until it does). Once the oil is hot, add enough artichokes slices to form a single layer across the oil. Adjust the temperature to keep the artichokes sizzling. Swirl them around a bit and scrape away any artichoke that sticks to the edge of the pot.
- With a slotted spoon or strainer, transfer the artichokes to a drying rack and let them drain. Repeat with the remaining artichoke slices. Serve the crispy artichokes hot or warm, sprinkled with salt.
Makes 6 servings Crispy Baby Artichokes.