Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 pound fiddlehead ferns
- 2 tsp. grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or 1 small shallot, sliced (optional)
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (completely optional)
- Trim and rinse fiddleheads, removing any brown ends or mushy parts.
- In a large pot bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add salt and fiddleheads. Cook 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add fiddleheads. Cook, stirring, until they start to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, if you like, and cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant and just starting to color, about 1 minute. Salt to taste. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.