Serve with a Roast Chicken, roasted meats, or grilled lamb.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 8 oz. greens (spinach, chard, kale, collard, turnip greens, mustard greens, beet greens)
- 2 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- Thoroughly clean greens in several batches of cold water, being sure to lift them out of the water and into a colander rather than pour the dirty water over them.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 tsp. salt and greens. Cook until greens are tender to the bite, 1 minute for spinach and up to 5 minutes for kale or collards. Drain and immediately rinse greens in cold water. Using your hands, squeeze out as much water as possible from greens. Coarsely chop greens and set aside.
- In a dry small frying pan (no oil) over medium-high heat, toast cumin seeds until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Let sit until cool. Grind in a clean spice or coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle. (See How to Toast Cumin Seeds.)
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, cumin seeds, black pepper, cayenne, and yogurt. Stir in greens. Serve chilled or at room temperature with roast meats, stews, or rice and beans.
Makes about 2 cups Greens With Yogurt & Cumin Seeds.