Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 8 oz. greens (spinach, chard, kale, collard, turnip greens, mustard greens, beet greens)
- 2 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- Thoroughly clean the greens in several batches of cold water, being sure to lift them out of the water and into a colander rather than pour the dirty water over them.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 tsp. of the salt and greens. Cook until the greens are tender to the bite, 30 seconds for spinach and up to 5 minutes for kale or collards. Drain and immediately rinse the greens in cold water. Using your hands, squeeze out as much water as possible from the greens. Coarsely chop the greens and set them aside.
- In a dry small frying pan (no oil) over medium-high heat, toast the cumin seeds until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour them into a bowl or onto a plate so they can cool off and stop cooking quickly. Grind them in a spice grinder or very clean coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle. (See How to Toast Cumin Seeds.)
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, cumin seeds, black pepper, cayenne, and yogurt. Stir in the greens. Serve chilled or at room temperature with roast meats, stews, or rice and beans.
Makes about 2 cups Greens With Yogurt & Cumin Seeds.