Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 to 2 lbs. potatoes, preferably tiny bite-size potatoes
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 hot green chile (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Garam masala (optional)
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Scrub whatever potatoes you're using clean but do not peel them. If they are bigger than bite-size, cut them into large bite-size pieces. Set them aside (in a bowl of cold water if they're cut).
- Whirl the ginger and coriander with 1/4 cup water in a blender. Set the ginger purée aside.
- In a large saute pan or pot heat the oil over high heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they start changing color, about 30 seconds. Add the ginger puree, chiles, and salt. Cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and add them to pan with 1/3 cup water. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and stir to combine with the potatoes. Serve hot or warm sprinkled with the garam masala and lemon juice to taste, if you like.
Makes 6 servings Potatoes In Cilantro Sauce.