Roasting intensifies the sweetness of beets, making them the perfect foil for salty feta cheese in this easy and nutritious composed salad recipe.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 3 large or 4 medium beets
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp.salt
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Trim and wash the beets. Place the beets on a large piece of aluminum foil, drizzle them with 1 tsp. of the oil, wrap them up, and place the foil packet on a baking sheet. Bake until the beets are tender when pierced with a fork, 30 to 45 minutes (note that older and/or larger beets can take significantly longer to cook). Let the beets sit until they're cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. (See How to Roast Beets for more details.)
- Peel the beets (they're skins should slip off easily) and cut them into 1/2-in. slices or cubes. In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil, vinegar, and salt. Toss the beets in dressing.
- Arrange the dressed beets on a platter or 4 serving plates. Top them with crumbled feta. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 salads.