By adding a bit of sherry vinegar to this dish of kale with red onions, you get the flavor of pickled red onions without the hassle of actually pickling red onions. The caraways seeds are optional but delicious.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1 Tbsp. canola, grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch kale (preferably "black" or Tuscan kale), rinsed and chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add caraway seeds to the dry pan and toast them, shaking the pan frequently, until they darken slightly, about 30 seconds.
- Add oil to pan and stir. Add sliced red onion and cook, stirring, until onion softens slightly, about 1 minute.
- Add kale and salt. Cover and cook until kale wilts, about 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar and sugar. Stir to combine. Cover and cook until kale is tender, about 5 minutes. You may need to lower the heat to keep the kale from scorching.