Adding lemon juice and fresh lemon zest to broccoli rabe highlights its green, broccoli flavor and tames its bitter edge.
Yield: Makes 4 Servings
- 1 bunch (about 1 1/2 lb.) broccoli rabe
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- Trim broccoli rabe. If stalks are big, divide them lengthwise into manageable pieces. If you like, you can cut the broccoli rabe into bite-size pieces — I like to leave it in bigger pieces because it looks so pretty.
- Heat a large frying pan or saute pan over medium high heat. Add oil and swirl. Add broccoli rabe, sprinkle with salt, and stir to coat with oil. Cook, stirring frequently, until broccoli rabe is tender and starting to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer broccoli rabe to a serving platter. Sprinkle with lemon juice and lemon zest. Serve hot or warm.