- 1 recipe Sweet Short Crust, baked (or other baked tart shell)
- 3 cups fresh black cherries, pitted (see How to Pit Cherries here)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Toss the pitted cherries with 1/4 cup of the sugar. Let them macerate (the fruit equivalent of "marinate") while you prepare and bake the Sweet Short Crust. Let the crust cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine the remaining 2 Tbsp. sugar and the cornstarch. Drain the cherry juice into the saucepan, whisk to combine, and place over medium heat. Stir until the sauce thickens, turns clear, and boils. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Arrange the drained cherries in the cooled crust. Pour the warm glaze over them and let the tart cool to room temperature. Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream or ice cream, if you like.
Makes 1 9-inch tart, about 8 servings Fresh Black Cherry Tart.