Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 Tablespoons salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 3 medium eggplants
- About 1/3 cup olive oil
- In a large bowl dissolve 2 tablespoons of salt in 1 cup warm water. Add 2 quarts cold water. Set aside.
- Trim the eggplant. Peel it, if you like, and cut it into ¾-inch thick diagonal, crosswise, or lengthwise slices. Put the slices in the salt water, weigh them down with an upside-down plate, and let sit 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat (you can hold your hand about an inch above the grill for 3 to 4 seconds).
- Drain the eggplant and pat it dry with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Lay the slices on a large baking sheet or tray. Brush one side with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Lay the slices oiled-side-down on the grill. Close the lid if using a gas grill and cook until grill marks appear, about 5 minutes.
- Brush the top sides of the slices with oil and sprinkle them with salt. Turn the slices over, close the lid on a gas grill and cook until grill marks appear on the other side and the eggplant is very tender, about 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Makes 6 to 8 servings Grilled Eggplant.