This recipe calls for brown sugar, which adds a deep, rich sweetness to the peaches, but feel free to use granulated sugar if you prefer. Always taste the fruit when making pies and adjust the sugar level accordingly - you’ll notice a huge range here that allows you to make a pie that matches your sweet tooth and your fruit’s ripeness.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- 1 double-crust recipe or pre-made pie crusts (I like Perfectly Flaky Pie Crust)
- 3 lb. peaches
- 1 Tbsp. to 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel and slice peaches. In a large bowl, toss peaches, sugar to taste, and tapioca. Set aside.
- Roll out crust. Line pie plate with bottom crust, fill with peach mixture, cover with top crust. Crimp edges and cut slits in top crust to vent.
- Put pie plate on a baking pan (to catch drips). Bake until well browned, about 1 hour. Let sit until room temperature, about 3 hours. Serve plain or with whipped cream or ice cream.
Makes 1 9-inch Peach Pie, about 8 servings.