These pickled garlic cloves are great on a relish tray for those with a bold palate, but can also stand in for raw garlic minced in salad dressings or added to roasts. They are beyond easy to make - it's really just covering garlic with vinegar and letting it hang out in the fridge for a few weeks.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 22 minutes
- 4 heads garlic
- 1 pint jar
- 3 dried red chiles, such as arbol (optional)
- 1 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, separate garlic into cloves. Drop cloves into the boiling water and cook 30 seconds. Drain and rinse with cold water. Peel cloves.
- Put cloves in pint jar and arrange chiles in jar, too, if you like.
- Combine vinegar, salt, and sugar, stirring until the salt and sugar dissolve. Pour the mixture over the garlic cloves to cover them completely (you may have some leftover). Cover jars with lids and store in refrigerator for at least 1 month before using. Garlic will keep, chilled, for at least a year.